From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: A Gentoo Enema
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:27:28
1 On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 06:29:41 -0600, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > > So what I want to do is give my computer a complete clean-out. What I
5 > > really CAN'T be bothered doing is a complete format and re-install!
6
7 > What you've described and what others have posted sounds more
8 > compiicated and time consuming than doing what you CAN'T be bothered
9 > with. Also allows the opportunity to redo any partitioning scheme
10 > and swap setup that may have aged or not fill the bill any more.
11
12 There are some major advantages to not re-installing. One is that all
13 your settings remain untouched, whereas a reinstall requires you to
14 reconfigure everything.
15
16 A more important difference is that the computer cannot be used for
17 anything else during reinstallation, whereas a clean up is performed on
18 a running system. It is also a lot less work that a reinstallation,
19 especially if you do it regularly. All you really need to do is clean
20 the world file of any cruft, emerge depclean && revdep-rebuild and run
21 the script to clean orphaned files from /etc.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Hot tip #345: Never whistle while drinking coffee.