From: Paul M Foster <paulf@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Mozilla & Google behind the scenes payola
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 21:24:40
1 On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 03:52:10PM -0400, John J. Foster wrote:
2
3 > http://www.scroogle.org/gscrape.html#ffox
4 >
5 > Just wondering if anyone had heard of this. Although, if true, it
6 > certainly doesn't surprise me with todays corporate ethics as they are.
7 > Just a bad mark on Mozilla.
10 I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this. Google pays Mozilla to
11 make Google the default search engine for Firefox. Mozilla could have
12 made it Yahoo or someone else, but Google paid them and that's bad? This
13 seems the same to me as Ford offering a television show free cars so
14 that whenever you see a car in the show, it's a Ford. This is as old as
15 advertising itself.
16
17 Mind you, all the link has is rumor and innuendo to go on. No solid
18 proof. A supposed insider blogger makes an accusation, they ask for
19 corroborating documents which haven't yet been filed, and the principals
20 have no comment for them. They've interpeted the silence of those
21 involved to mean their "guilt". Despite the fact that they aren't
22 _required_ to disclose any information about the matter, either way,
23 except perhaps in quarterly filings. While they may indeed be "guilty",
24 this is scant evidence to even make such an accusation, much less grant
25 it any credence.
26
27 Paul
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list