From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clamav and spamassassin
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 02:12:30
1 On 12/03/2011 08:57 PM, Grant wrote:
2 >>> Very cool. I found out clamscan and avgfree scan the filesystem so I
3 >>> thought I should set it up, but if it's not necessary I won't bother.
4 >>> All of my mail users are on Gentoo so do I need to bother having
5 >>> clamav scan my incoming mail?
8 >> Well, they aren't going to get infected with anything, but ClamAV could
9 >> still keep the virus message (which is obviously unwanted) out of their
10 >> inbox. There are also some third-party signatures[1] for ClamAV that catch
11 >> scam/phishing mail.
12 >
13 > There is info on Linux viruses here:
14 >
15 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
16 >
17 > I shouldn't be concerned about that?
20 The "big" risk (although still negligible) is that someone will mail
21 your users an executable that does something bad. But, you would have to
22 save it under /home, chmod +x it, and then run it manually for it to be
23 dangerous.
24
25 If you use portage to install packages, you should not ever need to
26 chmod +x anything. It's a big red flag and normal users don't even need
27 to know how to do it.
28
29 Mount /home noexec for extra safety.
30
31 Note that antivirus wouldn't help anyway if your users are going to do
32 whatever the email says without question =)