From: Ryan Tandy <tarpman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 00:34:13
1 Teresa and Dale wrote:
2 > It had a bug, she tried to fix it and deleted something. Boat anchor
3 > after that. O_O
4 >
5 Hence the concept of "not running as root"... ;) (and yes, it can
6 apply to non-UNIX systems too)
7 >
8 >> PS. Block 135-139, 445 and 3389 ports to/from the Internet at the LAN
9 >> periphery. Otherwise, your box could get backdoored before you even
10 >> had a chance to run any M$Windoze updates. ;-)
11 >>
12 Amen. It's happened to me.
13 >
14 > I think most if not all my problem is the Linksys router. I don't think
15 > I have it set up to let the two systems connect to each other. I'm not
16 > sure where to even start either. She lost the book to the thing. I did
17 > trial and error to get the internet working.
18 >
19 The little "reset" button on the back of the router may just be your
20 best friend round about now. Hold it in with a pen or something for
21 about 5 seconds, until it reboots itself. The default settings for the
22 router (disclaimer: all Linksys routers I'm familiar with) make it get
23 its external address from DHCP, assign all internal addresses via the
24 same, permit all internal->internal and internal->external connections,
25 and refuse all external->internal connections.
26
27 In any case, Google is your friend...
28 http://dotancohen.com/howto/linksyssetup/index.php and you can Google
29 your specific model for even better results.
30 > < sighs >
31 >
32 > Dale
33 > :-)
34 >
35 Chin up, the worst is yet to come! ;)
36
37 And anyway, a Gentoo router > a Linksys one any day. :D
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list