From: "Anno v. Heimburg" <anno@×××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:03:38
1 Ian Graeme Hilt wrote:
2 >
3 > Download the 2008 minimal install cd and install.
4 >
5 > Frankly, updating a 2006 install to 2008 is counter-productive. You'll
6 > have a much easier time doing a fresh 2008 install.
9 Why? If he kept his box up-to-date, there are just going to be some slight
10 changes in the default use flags and some virtuals, probably not all that
11 much to re-emerge. That's the beauty of gentoo: Continuous updating making
12 big-bang upgrades unnecessary. Incremental changes are (usually, except
13 when sombody decides to shuffle baselayout all around) small and can be
14 dealt with easily. If you have kept your box up-to-date even on a 2006
15 profile, you will be current ebuild-version-wise, there's no need to throw
16 that away.
17
18 This box, for example, has been continuously kept up to date since Gentoo
19 1.4, before profiles were numbered by year (I think that was in 2004). Not
20 a single reinstall was necessary, or even "more productive" than a simple
21 update. Of course, I emerge --sync and emerge -auD weekly.
25 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list