From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Where's my wireless AP?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 02:04:21
1 On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 19 April 2010 18:26:14 Stroller wrote:
3 >> On 18 Apr 2010, at 23:35, Mick wrote:
4 >> > ...
5 >> > OK, I found what the problem was ... the AP is currently transmitting
6 >> > on channel 13, which it seems is outside the capabilities of the b43
7 >> > driver. I am blaming the driver here because the Windows 7 OS has no
8 >> > problem using channel 13, while iwlist wlan0 in Gentoo shows only up
9 >> > to channel 11. :-(
10 >>
11 >> There might be an option to change the region of your wifi NIC.
12 >> Channels 12 & 13 are legal in Europe, IIRC, but not in the USA.
13 >>
14 >> You should be able to change the channel of the AP - typically they
15 >> have a drop-down which will choose either "auto" or a specific
16 >> channel. Likewise I have seen some APs ask what region you're in when
17 >> they're first setup.
18 >
19 > I've set it up for UK so it has 13 channels. On the other hand your hint
20 > pointed me to wpa_supplicant.conf on my laptop, in which I had the country
21 > parameter commented out. I set that up to UK, but it still seems to show 11
22 > channels. :-(
23 >
24 > I'll reboot later to see if it makes any odds.
25
26 I think the proper country code is GB not UK, maybe that's why it didn't work.
27
28 With iw try:
29
30 iw reg set GB