From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:15:16
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 06/22/2011 07:58 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >> Mine never had fortran in it at all. I still don't really know what
5 >> fortran is.
6 >
7 > It's a programming language. You know, C, C++, stuff like that.
8 > Except that it's a zombie-relict from the 1950's that refuses to die
9 > because people still programming in it are too lazy to learn a proper,
10 > more modern language :-P
11 >
12 > When you enable the fortran USE flag for GCC, you are telling it to
13 > compile and install the GNU Fortran compiler. Sometimes USE flags can
14 > have more dramatic effects than just enabling some extra
15 > functionality; in this case for example, a whole compiler and
16 > supporting runtime libraries are built and installed.
19 Well he double hockey sticks. That's why gcc compiles faster when
20 fortran is disabled. :/ Now I know. I wasn't even born in 1950 so I
21 had no clue. Dang, that was when puters were made out of vacuum tubes.
22 Talk about a old fuddy. lol
23
24 Dale
25