From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] courier-imap package enhancement
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:40:23
1 Trenton Adams wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > Might I suggest that the courier-imap package adds a directory of
5 > "/etc/skel/.maildir" during install? That way any new users created
6 > on the system would automatically have ".maildir" for use with
7 > courier-imap. Otherwise, courier-imap complains, in
8 > /var/log/mail.log, that the .maildir does not exist.
9 >
10 > Is this the right list for suggesting things like this?
13 This is generally why most systems send a new users a welcome email
14 which forces the MTA to create the .maildir/. Courier-imap can add it to
15 /etc/skel/ however this may make troubleshooting more complicated if you
16 do something odd like using mbox in your MTA and decide to install
17 Courier. You might confuse some applications, but generally it doesn't
18 seem like a bad idea.
19
20 It might make things complicated when you switch to a virtual system
21 and your users don't get automatic maildirs anymore. I'd lean towards
22 leaving .maildir/ out of /etc/skel/ in this case so that behavior is
23 consistent in all installs.
24
25 In any case I'd do some more thinking about it and request the
26 enhancement through bugzilla with your well thought out arguements that
27 consider more than just a simple system.
28
29 kashani
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list