From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : (2) HDD or SSD ?
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:15:31
1 On Jul 22, 2012 11:23 PM, "Jacques Montier" <jmontier@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I have just a (maybe silly) question...
6 > I saw on some forums that partitionning SSDs could slow down read/write
7 access.
8 > Is it true or simply intox ?
9 > On my sata HD, i have boot, /, usr and home separated partitions.
10 > What do you think of it ?
11 >
12 > Thank you,
13 >
14 > Cheers
17 My intuition said that separating a hard disk into several partitions
18 should result in a slightly faster system, because writes to different
19 partitions will not cause metadata contention (e.g., journal, volume
20 bitmap, etc.)
21
22 But that's just my intuition; I'd be very interested in a definitive answer
23 from anyone well-versed in filesystems.
24
25 Rgds,