From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planning a new machine : comments welcome
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 01:08:22
1 Laurence Perkins wrote:
2 > With regard to SMR drives, note that there are three basic types:
3 >
4 > Some completely hide the fact that they are SMR. These suck, hands down. Performance is unpredictable and random.
5 > Some at least advertise that they're SMR, and expose basic counters about where they are in their maintenance cycles. These still suck, but at least you can kind of predict when they're about to get really slow.
6 >
7 > The best ones actually advertise what the shingled ranges are, at which point a new enough kernel and filesystem can keep the writes to those ranges as sequential as possible, and you can use the big, cheap drives with very little performance loss.
8 >
9 > There are a couple articles explaining how to determine what you've got and optimize it. I don't have my bookmarks to hand, but it was in a discussion on this list a few months ago.
10 >
11 > LMP
14 That's some new info.  I tend to follow threads, even started one ages
15 ago about my hard drive doing a bumpy thing for a long time after I
16 updated my backups.  Rich plus others informed me I unknowingly bought a
17 SMR drive.  I think mine has about a 15 or 20GB CMR section.  I've
18 noticed if my updates go to about that much or more, it gets slow.
19 Either way, it does the bumpy thing for a good while after my backups
20 are done and I've unmounted the drive.  I just let it sit there until it
21 gets done.  If I don't, it just slows down faster the next time because
22 it starts out behind on moving the files from CMR to SMR and doing its
23 rewrite thing.
24
25 My biggest point for the OP, look at its use and pick what works as
26 expected.  I've read, and Wol seems to confirm this, that RAID and SMR
27 do not go together well.  I've read some have hosed RAID thingys when
28 they put in a SMR drive and didn't know it.
29
30 The biggest problem I have is when they don't let us know when a drive
31 is SMR.  I don't like a company that sells me something that isn't as
32 good without telling me.  It sort of rubs me the wrong way.
33
34 To the OP tho, research first, then buy.  Know what you getting and that
35 it will work for your needs.  As I said, for the most part, my backup
36 drive being SMR is mostly a little annoying.  It does work.  I just
37 won't do it again tho.
38
39 Dale
40