From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] congruant gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 17:17:04
1 Hello,
2
3 I need to deploy a (gentoo) server, on an isolated, remote network, with
4 just a few custom applications. However, to periodically
5 update the gentoo distro, I want to build a second (congruent)
6 system, that can be physically swapped for update, or in the
7 event of failure (brain-dead, I know but for now, that's a
8 hard constraint).
11 So I have system with identical mother boards, cpus and the same amount
12 of ram. The size of the drives differs, but, that should not be a problem.
13
14 Where to start?
15 The both have the same profile:
16 [9] default/linux/x86/2008.0 *
19 The both have the same kernel/options:
20 2.6.24-gentoo-r8
21
22 The world files are different. One is mimimal and very close
23 to what I want, the other needs many packages removed.
24
25 Likewise the one system has a minimal make.conf file, which
26 I like, the other is quite bloated over the years.
29 So before I go any further, should I just set about pruning the
30 bloated system down to match the minimal system, or go for a new install.
31
32 Also what else would I check and modify to ensure the systems are
33 as close to congruent as possbile?
34
35 rc-status?
36
37 installed packages?
40 file by file in /etc?
43 Any tools or suggestions to help in this effort are much welcome.
44
45 Should I just "dd" one (minmalistic) drive contents to the
46 other?
47
48 any discussion or ideas are most welcome.
49
50 James
55 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list