From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using KDE apps in a non KDE environment
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 07:07:06
1 151002 Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > I'm getting disillusioned with the direction KDE is taking
3 > with respect to forcing users to use things they don't want to.
4 > The semantic desktop or whatever they are now calling bits and pieces of it,
5 > is one thing that comes immediately to mind.
6
7 I took 1 look at the KDE 4 desktop & started using Fluxbox straightaway.
8
9 > Anyway, I've decided to move on and am thinking of going to lxqt.
10
11 You might like Fluxbox, which is easy to configure to taste.
12 I had a look at Xfce 12 yesterday & was much impressed : another option.
13
14 > I'm used to several KDE apps, kwooty, kwrite and a few more.
15 > Is it possible to run something such as lxqt and then emerge
16 > kde apps where it will bring in just a few kde libraries,
17 > which I can live with, but not the whole desktop environment ?
18
19 I've been doing it for years (smile).
20 I use 'startx' & in .xinitrc I have :
21
22 xscreensaver &
23 kdeinit &
24 startfluxbox
25
26 This speeds things up. I even manage to go on using 3 KDE 3 games.
27
28 The power of Gentoo !
32 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
33 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
34 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca