From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stable users: libpng-1.4
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:39:33
1 On Thursday 01 July 2010 00:15:34 Mick wrote:
2 > > I remember now what I eventually did to fix all my libpng problems back
3 > >
4 > > then:
7 > > unmerge libpng
8 > > delete everything left with libpng in it's name
9 > > emerge -pvuND world just to see what was now busted
10 > > same with revdep-rebuild
11 > > re-emerge libpng and let portage pick the version to merge
12 > > emerge -avuND world
13 > > revdep-rebuild
14 > >
15 > > repeat till no problems reported
18 > > and lafilefixer --justfixit somewhere in the mix as well just for good
19 > > measure.
23 > > This is called the "throw shit at the wall and hope some of it sticks"
24 > > method of updating systems. By happy good fortune, it worked out for me.
28 > > aka the dark underside of source-based systems :-)
29 >
30 > I'm sure that I followed your scientific approach too because my system
31 > still works ... although I may have lost the will to live somewhere in
32 > between the lafilefixer and revdep-rebuild for the nth time and decided to
33 > emerge -e world. :-))
34 >
35 > Strangely enough two other x86 boxen were updated without any much drama.
36
37 :-)
38
39 On the front page of gentoo.org several blogs are reference that mention this
40 issue. In one of them, the author shows evidence that the same binary was
41 trying to link at one point to a 32 bit lib and at another point link to a 64
42 bit lib..... All random of course, causing no end of mysterious failures, and
43 explains why some people had success re-merging cairo, other with something
44 else ....
45
46 Truly bizarre. But it might go a ways to explaining why your 32 bit systems
47 were unaffected?
50 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com