From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Core 2 duo: Building threaded program versions
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:46:12
1 > I recently set up a Core 2 duo system. Following the AMD64 howto, the
2 > system now works. Kernel compilation took 1:40 minutes passing -j6 to
3 > make.
4 >
5 > Then I tried to bunzip a large file and found out that the machine was
6 > about 40 % in idle which is clear because bzip2 is only one process.
7 > So is there any way to build those utilities like bzip2 or gzip in a
8 > thread-using way? It's not that nice to see the machine in idle at
9 > all^^ Maybe there's any hidden use flag I haven't heard of or so :)
10
11 I think, that is a misconception within bzip2.
12
13 The alternative would be:
14 - decompress one chunk, and write it to the stdout while the next block
15 is already being decompressed.
16 - compress a chunk, while reading the next one from stdin
17
18 That would eat up at least twice the memory as it does now.
21 And after i searched portage, i found "pbzip2" - what about that? It may
22 solve your problems ;-)