From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] AppImage? What's that?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 15:04:40
1 On 11/05 04:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 05/11/2017 15:48, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 11/05 07:21, Tom H wrote:
4 > >> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 7:11 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >>> On 11/05 06:29, Tom H wrote:
6 > >>>> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 6:20 AM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
7 > >>>>>
8 > >>>>> I got an archive (???) of an Linux application, which
9 > >>>>> has the extension "*.AppImage".
10 > >>>>>
11 > >>>>> What is that?
12 > >>>>>
13 > >>>>> Is it possible to "unpack" that into something more common?
14 > >>>>> How to handle that?
15 > >>>>
16 > >>>> Does it use this spec?
17 > >>>>
18 > >>>> https://appimage.org/
19 > >>>
20 > >>> Dont know...
21 > >>> How can I unpack that to look into it?
22 > >>
23 > >> From
24 > >> https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit
25 > >>
26 > >> wget "https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/releases/download/continuous/appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage"
27 > >> etc...
28 > >>
31 > > ./appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage TestApp/.
32 > > WARNING: appstreamcli is missing, please install it if you want to use AppStream metadata
33 > > appimagetool-x86_64.AppImage is a file, assuming it is an AppImage and should be unpacked
34 > > To be implemented
35 > >
36 > > unpacking is not implemented yet.
39 > Reading only this thread, it looks like an upstream used a horribly
40 > incomplete scheme for distribution that isn't even ready for launch.
41 >
42 > And yet they distribute using it.
43 >
44 > I would be questioning why I'm using that upstream's project at all, and
45 > find something better by an author with more clue.
46 >
47 > Am I missing something?
50 > --
51 > Alan McKinnon
52 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
56 As so often, the persons 'up' in the hierarch decide things the people
57 'down' the hierarchy would keep their fingers off - but they will not
58 be asked.
59
60 I am 'down' the hierarchy and want to unpack that
61 archive/image/whatever.
62
63 Currently I am recompiling my kernel to support squashfs as it seems
64 that this image is one of that images.
65 If so, mounting it as an image and copying the files out of the
66 mountpoints directory may work.
67
68 Fingers crossed...
69