From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Build PowerPC binary packages on AMD64?
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 21:55:20
1 Mark Knecht writes:
2
3 > Here's the setup: My desktop machine is a new, fast Core i7 980x
4 > processor. It is capable of doing emerge -e @world (including XFCE4,
5 > Gnome and KDE) in around 4 hours. On the other hand my MythTV backend
6
7 Oh my, this is fast.
8
9 > server is an old PowerPC which takes literally days (2? 3? 4?) to do
10 > the same thing with only fluxbox on the system. While this was OK a
11 > few years ago it's not something I'm enjoying much anymore. (Did I
12 > then?)
13 >
14 > So, the question is can I somehow set up an environment on my AMD64
15 > machine where I build PowerPC binary packages using emerge, ssh them
16 > over to the Mac and then emerge them there to get the machine up to
17 > date quickly? What do I read to understand how to do this?
18
19 I don't think this is possible. Maybe with an emulator, but that would
20 probably also be slow handling instructions for a different CPU.
21
22 I would give distcc a try. The configure and linking stuff is still done
23 on the local machine, but at least (most) of the compiles are done by the
24 fast machine, so this should safe some time. See the DistCC Cross-
25 compiling Guide guide [*] for information on how to set this up. It works
26 fine for me when I use my amd64 machine to create i686 binaries.
27
28 Wonko
29
30 [*] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml