From: Don Jerman <djerman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about grub
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:07:38
1 On 7/5/07, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs.ext@×××.com> wrote:
2 [...]
3 > As I wrote in my first answer to this thread (which somehow didn't make it
4 > to the list, yet), the problem is (IMHO) with /boot not beeing mounted at
5 > all.
6 >
7 Yes, if you followed the Gentoo install instructions closely /boot is
8 not mounted during normal operation, so if you install a new kernel it
9 will write /boot/grub/grub.conf (or /boot/grub/menu.lst) to your root
10 partition, not your boot partition. Grub is instructed to use (hd0,0)
11 or whatever your particular boot partition is, so it's not going to
12 see the /boot directory on your root partition - mount /boot and
13 re-install the new kernel version and it'll probably boot fine. Then
14 you can clean up the version of /boot that's on your root partition
15 (verify that /boot is not mounted first!).
16 --
17 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list