From: mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD RX GPU in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 23:16:37
1 Sadly, in my experience graphics cards draw a fairly steady current independent of usage (it varies a bit, but less than 20%).   Some of the newer cards may be better.  There are utilities for at least some cards to adjust the clock on the GPU  (normally used by mad gamers/miners to overclock).   These might be an option, cmos draw power at a rate determined by clock frequency and it's a squared relationship, half the clock speed means about 1/4 the power draw.
2
3 I would also like to find some low power graphics cards, The only option I'm aware of  is to buy older, used cards on ebay.  I have a few machines I'd like to run headless most of the time, but basic text or basic graphics would be nice occasionally, but I don't want to waste 200W+ on a high end graphics card that never gets exercised.
4
5 Other than that, I've used an external 80mm fan to blow air across the heat sink and out the adjacent slot (after the attached fan failed and i removed it.  I mounted the fan in the drive cage.  The fans on graphics cards are generally moving air the worst way possible (just like many cpu heat sink/fan combos), blasting it into the face of a heatsink at high speed so there is some flow through the channels with massive, massive turbulence/noise.  Oddly enough although the built in fan had a tachometer the card doesn't pay any attention to what it thinks is the fan speed, even if the fan stalls completely so you don't have to "fool" the graphics card when removing the provided fan and using an "external" fan.
8 "Would you like to see us rule again, my friend?   All you have to do is follow the worms."  Pink Floyd, The Wall, Waiting for the worms
13 Jun 16, 2019, 3:36 PM by antlists@××××××××××××.uk:
14