From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and gnome3
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:53:56
1 Am 23.07.2012 20:34, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2
3 > journald is an interesting idea. It allows you (among other things)
4 > to see the messages from a service (and only from that service) in
5 > the status command of systemctl: As far as I know, there is nothing
6 > remotely similar in either Upstart nor SysV init.
7
8 Yes, there might be *some* advantages to expect ;-)
9
10 > In my laptop and desktop, I could only use journald, but since
11 > systemd can be used along with rsyslog/syslog-ng, I still run
12 > rsyslog:
13 >
14 > # systemctl status rsyslog.service rsyslog.service - System Logging
15 > Service Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service;
16 > enabled) Active: active (running) since Thu, 12 Jul 2012 21:39:04
17 > -0500; 1 weeks and 3 days ago Main PID: 388 (rsyslogd) CGroup:
18 > name=systemd:/system/rsyslog.service └ 388 /usr/sbin/rsyslogd -n -c5
19 >
20 > The reason is only that I actually like to keep my logs, even if for
21 > a laptop/desktop is most of the times not necessary.
22
23 Keeping journald-logs just needs "mkdir -p /var/log/journal" (and in
24 case defining the size limit in the configfile).
25
26 > I think the only thing I did to set rsyslog as my logger service was
27 > to link the syslog.service file to it:
28 >
29 > # ll /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 39
30 > Jan 18 2012 /etc/systemd/system/syslog.service ->
31 > /usr/lib/systemd/system/rsyslog.service
32 >
33 > For my servers journald is cute, but I would never think about
34 > removing a "real" logger.
35
36 For my servers I don't think about removing a "real" init-system ;-)
37
38 No joke: in production environments I don't think of using systemd yet.
39
40 Just playing around here and learning things. I would consider using it
41 if it were officially supported by gentoo in terms of "you get a set of
42 fully tested unit-files" etc ... but right now it always feels like "ah,
43 there might be another howto" ... "maybe I lack some really important
44 service" ... at least this is my feeling right now. learning.
45
46 > So, in short: for servers install a real logger (I recommend rsyslog,
47 > although syslog-ng should also work),
48
49 never tried rsyslog, could have a look, yes.
50
51 > and for laptop/desktop you
52 > *could* do just with journald, but if it makes you feel better (as it
53 > does in my case) you can also install a real logger.
54 >
55 > Now that I think about it, I haven't really looked at my logs neither
56 > in my laptop nor desktop in months. I think I could easily remove
57 > rsyslog and just have journald; but rsyslog is light enough, and
58 > having the logs there gives me a little peace of mind.
59
60 I also don't expect much difference in performance. There isn't that
61 much to log on a desktop, and the load isn't that high most of the time.
62
63 Thanks, Stefan