From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing gentoo (multiple OS)
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 10:21:48
1 As far as I know all/most of these OS will interfere with your MBR and
2 potentially your /boot partition and install their boot code in there. This
3 is not a problem per se, as long as you are aware of it. Booting from a
4 LiveCD is all you will need to do to fix things.
5
6 Given the number of OS' that you want to play with I would strongly advise to
7 consider using virtualbox or any similar virtual machine, running in your
8 favourite OS (e.g. Debian as the host) and then create VM images for each
9 guest OS that you want installed. Performance will be only slightly slower
10 than booting into these OS separately from BIOS, but on the other hand you
11 won't need to be repartitioning or zeroing/formatting partitions when you want
12 to get rid of an OS. Also, you may end up running out of partitions - I think
13 SATA used to read up to 15 partitions only. So, with virtualbox you can add
14 new OS images at a click of a button, instead of creating new partitions,
15 moving partitions around and what not. LVM will help with sizing partitions
16 on the fly, but will add another layer of complexity.
19 Before I give specific OS suggestions below, let me propose a booting
20 architecture for separate partitions for you to consider:
21
22 Create one 'master' boot partition and install GRUB in it with a LiveCD. I'd
23 use legacy GRUB because it is simpler, slimmer and easy to fix. Others may
24 recommend GRUB2, which installs what looks to me like a mini OS in itself and
25 automates a lot of the configuration. I've been less successful editing the
26 boot options from the command line at boot time with GRUB2, but it is more
27 stable these days. Anyway, both will work fine. Never delete this GRUB master
28 partition, or you will need a LiveCD to be able to boot again.
29
30 I'd create one swap partition for all OS except MSWindows, which will create
31 its own paging file, fragment its own NTFS fs, corrupt this paging file without
32 any help from you and then use up all the partition space and crash! ha, ha,
33 ha! :)) Well, it's not always that bad, but it has happened here more than
34 once.
35
36 With the disk space available to you, you may create more than one swap
37 partition. I seem to recall (could be wrong) with 32bit OS that 128M was the
38 amount that would be accessed at a time by the kernel or something similar -
39 so people used to create multiple 128M swap partitions. These days with 64bit
40 OS and large RAM modules you may not need swap at all, unless you start
41 running http servers, big databases, etc. In any case, I'd set up a 2G swap
42 as a minimum and up to the size of your RAM as a maximum.
43
44 Then if you decide to have separate real partitions on the disk for each OS
45 instead of VM images, I would install each OS in their own partition without a
46 separate boot partition for each, to keep the number of partitions down. You
47 will then be able to chainload from your master boot menu.lst any OS boot
48 system.
49
50 If you will prefer to dual boot MSWindows and at least one main Linux system
51 (which will host your virtual machines) I would refrain from using the
52 MSWindows OS boot system to chainload Linux from it - because it is
53 complicated and messy:
54
55 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/226452
56
57 Specifics below.
58
59 PS. I merely express a view here - how I would go about it. There are
60 probably as many views on the things I suggest above as readers on this
61 mailing list. Thankfully with Linux there's more than one way to skin a cat.
62
63 PPS. No cats were harmed in preparing these suggestions! LOL! :))
64