From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Status of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:23:51
1 On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:00:41 -0700
2 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Jamie Dobbs
5 > <jamie.dobbs@×××××××.nz> wrote:
6 > > I've been away from Gentoo for the last year or so and using Ubuntu
7 > > but find that I want to return to Gentoo simply because of the
8 > > level of customization that I can do with it.
9 >
10 > Well then, welcome back.
11 >
12 > <SNIP>
13 > > Also I'm not running at Athlon X2 system, ifs there any _real_
14 > > advantage to running AMD64 or should I still to x86?
15 >
16 > I run an amd64 as my desktop system. It' started as my 3rd machine so
17 > at the time it was 64-bit for fun. today I just live with it. There
18 > are some limitations on the 64-bit platform with web-based media, but
19 > beyond that I find 32 and 64-bit machines to be pretty similar in
20 > performance. I run old windows games under Wine on 64-bit and they
21 > work OK. I think Flash and Java have been the two larger issues for me
22 > over time. A few win32codec issues also. However if I wanted to get
23 > around those I could probably do something in a chroot but I'm not
24 > that motivated.
25 >
26 > If I was building a desktop machine today I wouldn't build 64-bit. I
27 > see no advantage and a few disadvantages, but either way you go you'll
28 > probably be fine.
29
30 I use a 64 bit myself and have done so ever since I got tired of
31 running 32bit and wasting half my CPU. I recommend running a 32bit
32 firefox, but other than that, there's no real problems here. Wine
33 seems to run a little better in 64 bit than I've seen it perform on
34 other systems but it's hard to be sure.
35
36 Anyhow, just wanted to say I switched from 64 to 32 originally, as Mark
37 suggested, and switched back very quickly. I don't know if the speed
38 really changed, but it made me feel better about myself.
41 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list