From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] looking a way to create a flash drive from scratch
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 14:31:16
1 Thanks, gonna try it
2
3 Francisco
6 2014-02-21 10:36 GMT-03:00 thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>:
7
8 > On 02/21/2014 01:13 PM, Francisco Ares wrote:
9 > > Hi,
10 > >
11 > > I need to create a bootable flash stick, preferably using already
12 > > working Gentoo system (or at least most of it), which was tailored for
13 > > an embedded system.
14 > >
15 > > Already googled around, but I would like to know if anyone has already
16 > > succeeded on this.
17 > >
18 > > Thanks
19 > > Francisco
20 >
21 > what I do is this:
22 >
23 > 1. make your usb stick an PV of your existing LVM volumegroup
24 > 2. create a small boot LV
25 > 3. install grub2 into the boot LV and onto the boot sector of the usb stick
26 > 4. insert stick into live running system
27 > 5. lvm convert running system LV into a mirror with one part of the
28 > mirror on the stick. if it's already a mirror make it a 3way etc
29 > 6. when done, split the mirror
30 > 7. rename the usb into a different volumegroup, called backup for
31 > example, and rename the LV to something sensible
32 > 8. configure grub on the usb to boot gentoo from the volume group
33 > backup, root partition
34 > 9. eject the usb stick and plug into your other device
35 > 10. boot from the usb stick
36 > 11. repeat the mirror steps this time going onto the SD/hard drive of
37 > the new device
38 >
39 > LVM ftw