From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:53:00
1 On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > --- On Mon, 29/9/08, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@tu-
3 clausthal.de> wrote:
4 > > From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
5 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
6 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > > Date: Monday, 29 September, 2008, 10:59 AM
8 > >
9 > > On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
10 > > > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new
11 > >
12 > > Hauppage USB tv stick to
13 > >
14 > > > work under linux.
15 > > >
16 > > > I have been constantly perplexed by references to
17 > >
18 > > compilable kernel modules
19 > >
20 > > > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they
21 > >
22 > > referred to old modules or
23 > >
24 > > > something.
25 > > >
26 > > > But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run
27 > >
28 > > make menuconfig on
29 > >
30 > > > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have
31 > >
32 > > 10's of TV card chipset
33 > >
34 > > > drivers availible to compile whereas
35 > >
36 > > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
37 > >
38 > > > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
39 > > >
40 > > > Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this
41 > >
42 > > might be?
43 > >
44 > > > Thank you
45 > > >
46 > > > (This is my first mailing list post - please be
47 > >
48 > > gentle!)
49 > >
50 > > > -----------------------
51 > > > N: Jon Hardcastle
52 > > > E: Jon@×××××××××××.com
53 > > > 'The writing is on the wall...'
54 > > > -----------------------
55 > >
56 > > because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are developed
57 > > outside of the main
58 > > kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
59 > > experimental.
60 > >
61 > > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial rep and
62 > > do a make, make
63 > > install in it do get drivers that work. And with
64 > > 'work' I mean: no sound on
65 > > first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
66 > > reconnecting it, it suddenly
67 > > works.
68 >
69 > Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the option to add
70 > support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add steps to the
71 > menuconfig?
72
73 no.
74 it just installs all the drivers in the rep as modules. It doesn't touch any
75 configs at all.