From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Hubris?
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:34:25
1 Hello list,
2
3 Hardly had I said that MBR had caused me no problems in years, guess what? It
4 did. I tried to mount /boot (ext2) to install a new kernel but it couldn't be
5 mounted - wrong fs type or some such. When I got it mounted as ext4 it looked
6 fine. Fsck had found nothing wrong either, but fdisk showed the wrong partition
7 as Active. /boot is on /dev/md1 which is RAID-1 built on /dev/sd[ab]1, so sda1
8 should have been marked Active (it was when I set it up), but the spare, empty
9 sda2 was instead.
10
11 On booting a rescue system and correcting the Active flag with fdisk, all the
12 files in it disappeared. So I put them back in and booted the main system. Same
13 all over again.
14
15 In the end I just zapped /, /var, /usr/portage etc, restored from an older
16 backup, synced and emerged -e world. Then restoring the files in /boot resulted
17 in a stable system.
18
19 Looks like time I investigated GPT or BTRFS. But I don't want to go from GRUB
20 legacy to GRUB-2. Is that possible?
23 Rgds
24 Peter