From: Dave S <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] environmental variables ?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 07:15:49
1 I throw myself on your mercy, this is for a kubuntu install not a gentoo
2 install - but you guys are the most technical bunch I know :)
3
4 I start an app with 'gksudo simple-backup-config', (a gtk backup
5 utility 'sbackup') and all is well, the GUI it is rendered perfectly.
6
7 I upgrade my system.
8
9 I start the app with 'gksudo simple-backup-config', YUK it looks like someone
10 chewed it, the graphics are so primitive, white blocks around the GUI radio
11 buttons, the tabs are separated and look like loose teeth, the buttons have
12 lost their border and are just icons.
13
14 Experimenting I found that 'gksudo -k simple-backup-config' restored it to its
15 former beauty, as did straight 'sudo simple-backup-config'.
16
17 Ahh I thought - environmental variables so I dug out a script to dump all
18 environmental variables, did a diff between gksudo and gksudo -k and got ...
19
20 < DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID = gksudo/|home|vanda|
21 test/27282-0-vanda-comp_TIME771509819
22 ---
23 > DESKTOP_STARTUP_ID = gksudo/|home|vanda|
24 test/27292-0-vanda-comp_TIME771642528
25 13c13
26 < HOME = /root
27 ---
28 > HOME = /home/vanda
29 38c38
30 < XAUTHORITY = /tmp/libgksu1.2-AbpNh8/.Xauthority
31 ---
32 > XAUTHORITY = /tmp/libgksu1.2-wNoSTR/.Xauthority
33
34 Not much change there. OK I am stumped. what else changes between gksudo and
35 gksudo -k to affect GUI rendering ? I know its no big deal but I would like
36 to know. :)
37
38 Thanks in advance
39