From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage no longer in world?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:17:04
1 On Sunday, July 31 at 12:08 (+0100), Peter Humphrey said:
2
3 > On Sunday 31 July 2011 09:54:07 Albert Hopkins wrote:
4 >
5 > > Or perhaps I'm just not understanding the problem.
6 >
7 > He's asking why upgrading world or system doesn't include upgrading portage.
8 >
9 > "Or perhaps I'm just not understanding the problem." :-)
12 Yeah, sorry about that. I think my understanding was clouded by all the
13 peripheral discussion regarding stable/unstable and different versions
14 of portage. That and the fact that I had just gotten out of bed when I
15 read it :P
16
17 They OP could have simply said "Hey, when I synced I saw a message that
18 I there was a new portage available, but when I run 'emerge -up world'
19 or 'emerge -up system' it doesn't show the updated package." Hooray.
20
21 Nevertheless, as has already been said, yeah, it appears that system
22 includes virtual/package-manager and not specifically sys-apps/portage
23 (how diplomatic), so unless you run emerge with '--deep' or explicitly
24 update the package name then it won't count.
25
26 As for stable vs. unstable... I still don't understand what that has to
27 do with it.