From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ebuild -> .src.rpm
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:55:13
1 That would indeed be an interesting addition!
2
3 I can see a few problems already. Different dependency names would be a
4 problem - ie on gentoo a dependency might be named foo, on redhat it
5 might be named foo2, on SuSE it might be named libfoo and on Mandrivel
6 it might be named libfoo-2. In other words spec files may be different
7 on different rpm distros and may use different namings to gentoo. SuSE
8 installs kde to /opt, others don't etc etc .
9
10 So you not only have to create a spec file, but you have to create one
11 for each distro, and you have to have a lot of knowledge about how
12 $DISTRO works.
13
14 Another strategy for you is to find a src.rpm for the package and adapt
15 its .spec file. I found an old (0.2) src rpm for netselect (from SuSE
16 7.3!) via google. If I cared enough I guess I could adapt it's spec file
17 to another distro. Actually I stumbled on a part of the Mandrake site
18 once that had just the spec files for all their packages - that might be
19 worth a look given RH and MD's common (although now distant) origins.
20
21 One of the things I like about gentoo is the ease of writing a .ebuild
22 file as opposed to a spec file or whatever the .deb equivalent is.
25 On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:54:55 -0700 (PDT)