From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] building kde-meta
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 18:26:45
1 This email comments on something dealing with an emerge package issue; if this
2 is the wrong list to put that into, let me know, I'll try again.
3
4 I'm trying to emerge kde-base/kde-meta. As I ordinarily do with things I know
5 will have lots of dependencies, I ran "emerge --pretend" on it to see if I was
6 all right with the list of dependencies. In this case, one of the items listed
7 was kde-base/kde-i18n-3.5.9. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the stuff that
8 says "i18n" is referring to a version that supports a Russian character list.
9 That's truly useless for me (and, I would think, the great majority of users in
10 the USA). What I wanted to ask is, having that file as a default dependency of
11 kde-meta, isn't that hugely wrong? I mean, shouldn't a user have to slect that
12 in, not have it get installed by default? I mean, you should need to have
13 something like that in your USE flags, shouldn't you?
14
15 Or, am I getting something wrong in understanding what an app labeled with
16 "i18n" would mean?