From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] QT versions
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 02:54:31
1 On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:25:03 -0400
2 Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Is it safe to remove QT3 from the system now? It seems like at one point that
5 > there were still packages in KDE that needed version 3 installed.
6 >
7 > I have both version 3 and 4 on the system. If I remove the qt3 use flag,
8 > enable the qt4 use flag and do an emerge --newuse, can I then unmerge version
9 > 3?
12 On a sane system, if qt3 is no longer needed you could clean it with
13 emerge --depclean --ask. That should in fact clean anything that's not in world
14 and is not a dependency (might it be directly or indirectly) of a package in
15 world.
16
17 If emerge --depclean --ask doesn't report it on the output list, then there's
18 something depending on qt3 installed.
19
20 Remember that setting USE="-qt3" doesn't magically remove the dependency on
21 qt3 for those programs that needs qt3. Kde 3.x relies in qt3, and no USE flag
22 can change that. USE flags only change optional settings, for kde 3.x qt3 is
23 not an option.
24
25 However, most people don't usually care about sanity, and in that case, you
26 should be careful when using --depclean.
29 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>