From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: RAID-1 install
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2011 12:02:22
1 On 2011-08-01 19:49, James wrote:
2
3 > Sorry for delayed response, I've been reading up
4 > on gpt-fdisk [1].
5 > Interesting reading on gpt-patch-fdisk....
6
7 Thanks for the link; I haven't done such a thorough investigation as you
8 seem to have done... :-)
9
10 > So "parted" 2.3 in on the minimal cd I'm using:
11 > install-amd64-minimal-20110714.iso
12 > should be as sufficient as gparted?
13
14 As long as it has support for GPT and 4k-disks it should be sufficient...
15
16 > If so, it looks like my disk(s) setups
17 > which are identical are ok? [2] seems to
18
19 Ok or not... do they work as intended? If so I would say they work
20 fine... If you are asking if they are optimised or not I can honestly
21 say: I don't know. Also, if what you are after is an optimised setup for
22 your particular needs then you need to take into account the file system
23 (and, if so required, raid and/or lvm system setup). Which leads this
24 into a whole world of things to work out (workloads/usage patterns)...
25 You need to decide how much time you want to spend on optimising this...
26 Myself, I've given up on that. But since you're doing a raid 1 setup
27 (mirrored) I assume the theoretical limit (i.e. MB/s) would be the
28 individual disks.
29
30 > suggest that what I originally used (fdisk)
31 > to partition a 4K block drive
32 > (fdisk -H 224 -S 56 -l) will
33 > work, but the drive is NOT optimized?
34
35 This[*1] seems to suggest that the above fdisk line will create
36 partition aligned to 128k boundaries (excepting the first partition
37 which is aligned to 4k) for SSDs... again, haven't delved into the
38 breadth and depth needed for this to say something with something with
39 authority... :-)
40
41 [*1]
42 http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2009/02/aligning-filesystems-ssd%E2%80%99s-erase-block-size
43
44 > (parted) print
45 > Model: ATA ST32000542AS (scsi)
46 > Disk /dev/sda: 2000GB
47 > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
48 ^^^^^^^^^
49 Hm... this may be an indication that the disks are "lying" to the kernel
50 about it's physical layout, telling it that it's a 512B sector size disk
51 when it's really a 4k sector disk... But I think parted can align
52 correctly anyway... see below Gentoo forum link for details...
53
54 > Partition Table: msdos
55 ^^^^^
56 This seems to suggest you are using MBR and not GPT, if that's what you
57 wanted (the size of your disks suggests you don't need GPT - <=2TB is
58 fine with MBR, only with sizes >2TB you need GPT)... I think that parted
59 can change the partition layout to GPT if you really want, but I don't
60 have it installed currently since I used the Gentoo live cd to
61 partition/install so I can't check on which command to perform that.
62 However, a word of caution: If you're trying to boot from a GPT disk
63 then you need (U)EFI firmware as opposed to "regular" bios (I think)...
64 For booting from an GPT disk there are some other hiccups as well, which
65 I've discovered, in that you _may_ need something called an EFI System
66 Partition, which is a VFAT formatted partition which is reserved for the
67 (U)EFI firmware (my system wouldn't boot without it - although I'm using
68 an SASWT4I "fake" raid card from Intel and GRUB2, which may have
69 complicated things...).
70
71 > Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
72 > 1 1049kB 269MB 268MB primary boot, raid
73 > 2 269MB 5414MB 5144MB primary raid
74 > 3 5414MB 2000GB 1995GB primary raid
75 >
76 > and
77 > (parted) align-check minimal 1
78 > 1 aligned
79 > (parted) align-check optimal 1
80 > 1 aligned
81 > (parted) align-check optimal 2
82 > 2 aligned
83 > (parted) align-check optimal 3
84 > 3 aligned
85 > (parted)
86
87 Hm... afaik the alignment issue is digital; either it's aligned (to 4k
88 or whatever) or it's not... as long as the tool used can handle it there
89 shouldn't be any differences (fdisk/gdisk/parted). That said, I think
90 that parted always issues the "aligned" message when doing the
91 align-check command (assuming it was succesfull) so you can't judge if
92 any previous attempts was succesful or not (I think that's what you were
93 trying to do if I understand you correctly).
94
95 > Should I conclude that sda and sdb are
96 > correct and optimized for 4K block drives?
97
98 Perhaps this may help (I don't have any 4k sector disks so...):
99 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-838522-start-0.html
100
101 > I never used parted before, so I can easily be making
102 > a mistake [3] or poor assumption?
103
104 Hm... the only way to be sure is to test it ( or "nuke it from above" ;-) ).
105
106 I hope I have (accidentally or not) made some sense... :-D
107
108 Best regards
109
110 Peter K