From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Discover IP address of random Windows boxes on network?
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 21:08:48
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Is there a simple way for me to discover the IP address of any random
5 > Windows machine that dropped by and hooked up to my network?
8 emerge fping
9 man fping
10
11 I use this for a /24 net scan:
12
13 fping -g 10.10.2.0/24
14
15 > Extra points if there's a way to discover if a machine has attached by
16 > wireless.....
19 Never thought about this, you'd have to script something.
20 Get the first 3 hex numbers of all of the know wireless chip
21 vendors and then search the registered MAC addresses for these
22 strings.
23
24 There are databases that exist that tell you which vendor
25 the (wireless) ethernet chipsets belong to. That is the first 3/6
26 hex numbers in a MAC address uniquely identify the manufacture.
27
28 You'd have to brute force if the ethernet connect is wired, wireless
29 or unknown based on a table of the MAC entries (or something like that).
30
31 But remember, if the operating system is set to not answer pings
32 (fping) then, you'll have to look at something more sophisticated,
33 like snort or wireshark outputs.
36 If somebody has a dual boot system (windows and linux) then you
37 need to result some to hacker recon(profiling) techniques to
38 discern the running OS......
39
40 ymmv,
41 James