From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] General weirdness - a tale of woe.
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 00:39:49
1 On Saturday 30 May 2015 16:43:13 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 30 May 2015 12:49:51 Mick wrote:
3 > > On my laptop which has stayed on Kmail-1 I have this:
4 > --->8
5 >
6 > > Have a look here for more details and warnings:
7 > >
8 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade
9 >
10 > Many thanks Mick - that's very helpful.
11 >
12 > > I expect that sooner or later bitrot will catch up with Kmail-1 and it
13 > > will
14 > > stop working. I dread for this happening, but I will not move to Kmail-2
15 > > until then.
16 >
17 > I don't blame you, and I wish I hadn't either. I'll see if it's possible to
18 > go back.
19
20 Well, it did look promising right up to the last gasp. I put those
21 package.mask entries in, and I found I needed a couple of package.use entries
22 as well, and then everything went suspiciously well. Portage downgraded
23 several packages and recompiled several others, and I was ready to go.
24
25 At this point I must put in a word of commendation for portage: it handled
26 this major regression with aplomb throughout. That is one professional
27 program.
28
29 I created a new user (this is now really tedious), started KMail-1 and
30 imported 14000-odd messages from the old KMail-2 - and in a fraction of the
31 time that KMail-2 takes for the same task. Great! I thought. Then I found
32 there was no inbox to copy its e-mails into, and I couldn't copy the folder
33 because one existed already - I just couldn't see it. I think I remember it
34 disappearing once or twice before in the days of KMail-1. Anyway, I couldn't
35 see a way forward so I've reverted to the original KMail-2 pro tem.
36
37 Maybe I'll have another go if I remember the way out of having no inbox.
38 Anyway, thanks Mick for steering me the way I wanted to go.
41 Rgds
42 Peter