From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] package.keywords syntax?
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:47:41
1 On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
2 <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > The real problem is when you type
4 > float real_number = 4e10;
5 > int integer = real_number;
6 > If your integer can only hold values up to 2^31 - 1 , the behavior of
7 > the above code is undefined.
8 > In a language like Python, everything either behaves as you intended,
9 > of throws an exception.
10 > This is why I say "In C, you must completely understand the behavior
11 > of every statement or function, and you *must* handle the possibility
12 > of errors".
13
14 The line:
15 int integer = real_number;
16 will produce a warning. (or an error if you are smart enough to
17 compile with -Werror)
18
19 But, if you know that the real number will be small enough and you
20 don't mind getting the floor of the float, you may wish to ignore the
21 error. Like mr McKinnon said, c will allow you to do wrong things.
22
23 Depending on what you are doing, the babysitting of python, may or may
24 not be a problem.
25
26 One thing I would like to know (not knowing python that well), is when
27 you make an error in python, when will the exception be thrown? At the
28 start of run-time, or when the guilty code is encountered? And what if
29 that code is in a codebranch that gets executed 0.0005% of the time?
30
31 Regards
32 Dirk