From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] broken splash screen and / or init?
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 05:22:34
1 On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 01:03:04PM +0100, Marc Blumentritt wrote:
2
3 > I have since 2 months a problem with my boot up splash. Splash is
4 > working, but the init messages (like starting daemon foh ... [ok]) are
5 > written an screen "above" (for lack of a better word) my splash. When
6 > the messages reach the bottom of the screen, the splash is moving
7 > upwards with every new line printed. When the messages reach "Starting
8 > XDM" the screen is not switched to the 7th terminal, where X is running.
9 > I have to switch manually by pressing alt-F7.
10
11 If you think that both bugs are related, you should do an "all in one"
12 bug report. Add some more information like your boot line command,
13 .config content and your 'emmerge --info'.
14
15 If you have time enough, you can try to find by yourself what you did to
16 get this bug. Is the problem related to a kernel upgrade for example ?
17
18 > Any ideas, what's wrong and how I can get back my normal boot?
19
20 I'd get the rid of the splash option at the boot line command but it's
21 probably not what you're expecting for. Don't know what a "normal" boot
22 is.
23
24 > Could
25 > this be connected to the kernel?
26
27 Yes.
28
29 > I remember, switching some general
30 > options in the kernel config (I think in "Processor type and features"
31 > Tickless System, High resolution timer support, preemption model
32 > (desktop) and timer frequency (1000)).
33
34 Well, playing with these options won't help. By "this can be related to
35 the kernel" I think about an internal bug from the kernel.
38 Nicolas Sebrecht