From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] bindmount or symlink?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:13:29
1 On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 15:15, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You are; but in an incredible complicated and convulted way.
5 >>
6 >> If I'm understanding you, you want:
7 >>
8 >> fstab:
9 >> /dev/XX   /mnt/p1   ...
10 >> /dev/YY   /mnt/p2   ...
11 >>
12 >> and then
13 >>
14 >> /usr/portage -> /mnt/p1
15 >> /usr/src -> /mnt/p2
16 >>
17 >> (or using bindmounting, whatever).
18 >>
19 >> This makes no sense at all (at least not to me), when you can simply:
20 >>
21 >> fstab:
22 >> /dev/XX   /usr/portage   ...
23 >> /dev/YY   /usr/src   ...
24 >>
25 >> and get the same split filesystem, but without all the complication
26 >> you are proposing.
27 >>
28 >> Unless there is something I don't understand, in which case I'm not
29 >> following your reasoning.
32 > The point is: It's not just 2 (two) directories, but several of them,
33 > and I just can't see myself creating a partition (or an LV) for each
34 > and everyone of them.
35 >
36 > So, here's my thoughts:
37 >
38 > There are 2 filesystems that are suitable for different purposes:
39 > * reiserfs = for space efficiency (w/o notail option) and/or no inode#
40 > limitation
41 > * ext4 = for general purpose
42 >
43 > The directories I'm going to split:
44 >
45 > /usr/share ==> ext4
46 > /usr/portage ==> reiserfs
47 > /usr/portage/packages ==> ext4
48 > /usr/portage/distfiles ==> ext4
49 > /usr/src ==> reiserfs
50 > /var/cache/rtorrent (don't ask) ==> reiserfs
51 > /var/spool/postfix ==> ext4
52 > /var/lib/postgresql ==> ext4
53 >
54 > Now, I create 2 partitions:
55 >
56 > /dev/sdc1 (reiserfs) --> /mnt/Persistent1
57 > /dev/sdd1 (ext4) --> /mnt/Persistent2
58 >
59 > Then I create subdirectories:
60 >
61 > /mnt/Persistent1/portage
62 > /mnt/Persistent1/src
63 > /mnt/Persistent1/rtorrent
64 >
65 > /mnt/Persistent2/share
66 > /mnt/Persistent2/packages
67 > /mnt/Persistent2/distfiles
68 > /mnt/Persistent2/postfix
69 > /mnt/Persistent2/postgresql
70 >
71 > Finally, I need to redirect the directories-I-want-to-split to the
72 > above subdirs under /mnt/Persistent[12]
73 >
74 > SO.
75 >
76 > mount -o bind ... or ln -s ?
77
78 OK, now I understand. I still think is kinda crazy, but to each its own.
79
80 I would definitely use symlinks.
81
82 Regards.