From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gcc-4.9.x and stack protection ?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 23:09:36
1 gcc-4.9.2 surprised me by landing on ~amd64 today, and I'm still very vague
2 about the status of stack protection on gentoo.
3
4 I seem to recall reading (somewhere) that gcc-4.9.x is needed for compiling
5 the kernel with CONFIG_CC_STACK_PROTECTOR_STRONG so I've never tried it until
6 today.
7
8 Is my recollection accurate? Does gcc-4.9.x include more/different support
9 than gcc-4.8.x for stack protection?
10
11 Anyway, so far, so good. I recompiled and rebooted kernel 3.14.29 with strong
12 stack protection enabled and all seems good. (Uptime is 20 minutes and counting ;)