From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:12:30
1 On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:58 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:55:35 +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote about Re:
3 > [gentoo-user] Re: Full disk encryption:
4 >
5 >> On Dec 1, 2011 3:32 AM, "David W Noon" <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >> > I have a working initramfs layout, but currently it is too large
7 >> > (>32MiB) for my /boot partition.  The problem package is e2fsprogs,
8 >> > as it requires dynamic linkage and, consequently, a full-sized
9 >> > glibc. This sucks, so I need to patch the Makefile(s) to build a
10 >> > more sensible set of executables for an initramfs.
11 > [snip]
12 >> You know, Debian has an e2fsck-static package. Why don't Gentoo,  I
13 >> wonder...
14 >>
15 >> That said, you *can* have an "almost-static" e2fsck if you compile it
16 >> yourself.
17 >
18 > Clearly you have not tried this yourself. [I have.]
19 >
20 > The reason modern e2fsprogs no longer have the static option is that
21 > the Makefile logic has long been neglected for the static modules and
22 > they no longer build correctly to produce e2fsck.static.  I am
23 > currently (on and off) building a patched Makefile to correct this, but
24 > the build is so convoluted that it is something of a chore.
25
26 I like Gentoo because I'm a perpetual edge case. This and mdev makes
27 two edge-case things you're tackling in your spare time that I know
28 of...Drop me a line if you're ever in the vicinity of Grand Rapids,
29 MI. I'll buy you a beer.
32 :wq