From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Near freezes during large emerges
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:39:35
1 >> I've been running without swap for quite a while, but my system goes
2 >> into a near freeze whenever I undertake a large emerge such as
3 >> chromium or openoffice.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this
4 >> besides turning swap back on?  I have 3GB RAM and MAKEOPTS="-j1".
5 >>
6 >> - Grant
7 >>
8 > The "near freeze" is probably the result from Linux' bad IO-scheduling.
9 > I know the phenomena :(
10 > I'm very much looking forward to some future changes in the kernel :)
11 >
12 > For now it'll help to use "ionice -c 3". This is the IO-equivalent to
13 > "nice -n 19".
14 >
15 > $ ionice -c 3 emerge something
16 >
17 > Bye,
18 > Daniel
19
20 Thanks Daniel, that got me through the chromium emerge without a single hiccup.
21
22 - Grant