From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mouse wheel makes firefox hang
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 23:16:58
1 On Monday, 27 August 2018 18:35:29 BST Hervé Guillemet wrote:
2 > Thanks Mick for the suggestions.
3
4 > > This sounds like a Xorg drivers problem, but if Xorg has partially
5 > > crashed due to RAM or power problems, then this cursor problem will
6 > > go away after you address the hardware issue.
7 > >
8 > >> Scrolling with scrollbars or arrow keys works. Scrolling with
9 > >> wheels in others apps like terminals works too. No useful message
10 > >> in syslog, dmesg or console.
11 > >
12 > > What does /var/log/Xorg.0.log reveal?
13 >
14 > Nothing either.
15 >
16 > In the meantime I found another application triggering the problem (some
17 > image display software), so this is not specific to Gecko.
18
19 There are various tests, from glxgears to glmark2 to Unigine Benchmark, which
20 will put a graphics card through its paces and of course test the video driver
21 with it.
22
23 If by running any of these you get the same symptoms I would think the problem
24 is specific to your GPU/driver and perhaps how it uses shared memory - hence
25 the beep. You can also see if there is a momentary jump in memory usage by
26 using vmstat, watch -d ipcs -m, watch -d cat /proc/meminfo, et al.
27
28 Glitches like these usually go away after a while, when the application, Xorg
29 drivers and occasionally the kernel get updated to a later version. Other
30 than that you could start debugging apps and drivers, which often ends up
31 being a ping-pong between video driver devs, app devs and desktop devs.
32
33 I'm not I can offer more practical help, but others more knowledgeable in this
34 field may be able to contribute.
35 --
36 Regards,
37 Mick