From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 23:14:35
1 On Sat, Jun 04, 2011 at 05:57:44PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > David W Noon wrote:
3 > > Not a problem. In fact, it is not I (or Indi) who is causing the
4 > > breakage.
5 > >
6 > > A little further investigation has shown that the Message-ID: line of
7 > > all message posted through the Gentoo list server is rewritten,
8 > > regardless of its initial value. This is why correctly posted messages
9 > > have the Bastard Operator From Hell designation: the domain name of
10 > > Gentoo's list server is bofh.it. This also means that those who read
11 > > this list's messages via email will always see a valid Message-ID: line.
12 > >
13 > > Now, one other possible cause of message id mismatch is people posting
14 > > directly to Usenet as well as through the list server. All NNTP
15 > > servers should have the newsgroup that is a reflection of this mailing
16 > > list marked as "no posting allowed"; certainly
17 > > news.eternal-september.org is configured that way. However, if a
18 > > misposted message gets through from another Usenet-registered NNTP
19 > > server, I will see it with the alternate Message-ID: line, not the one
20 > > generated by the Gentoo list server. It is messages such as this that
21 > > cause the breakage in threads when somebody (anybody) reading through
22 > > an NNTP server posts a follow-up to such a message.
23 > >
24 > > So, when you see a breakage in a message thread, it is the message that
25 > > is the tail-end of the original thread that is causing the breakage,
26 > > not the message that apparently starts the new thread.
27 > >
28 > > I hope all is clear now.
32 > Oh, so when it gets broken, I need to find the message before that to
33 > see where it got messed up. Sorry to use the technical term "messed up"
34 > but it fits rather well. lol
37 I don't think that's quite accurate, but the problem is the MID on
38 usenet does not match the MID used for the mailing list. So if you
39 "blame" the MID then you could say it was the message I replied to
40 giving my MUA "bad information" that broke the thread.
41
42 I tend to see it as I inadvertantly broke the thread due to the
43 mail2news gateway breaking with email conventions -- no actually,
44 due to my inattention (because the workaround is trivial, it just never
45 occurred to me that I needed to watch for that).
48 caveat utilitor