From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor & wine ==> crash
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2019 11:16:39
1 On Saturday, 19 October 2019 09:11:17 BST Hartmut Figge wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > I am somewhat desperate. Before I obtained a new monitor, my installed
5 > games on wine worked fine. Now many of them crash at startup. Most of
6 > them run still fine under wine-vanilla-4.0.1 but not under
7 > wine-vanilla-4.17.
8 >
9 > After some tinkering I found a hint when using OblivionLauncher.exe.
10 >
11 > In wine-vanilla-4.0.1 the available resolutions are
12 > http://www.triffids.de/pub/aoc/wine-4.01_oblivionlauncher.png
13 >
14 > In wine-vanilla-4.17 the available resolutions are
15 > http://www.triffids.de/pub/aoc/wine-4.17_oblivionlauncher.png
16 >
17 > You can see that most of the resolutions are missing under 4.17. If I
18 > select the available resolution 800x600 in 4.17 then oblivion starts and
19 > runs without problems.
20 >
21 > But many of the games do not have a launcher to choose a resolution
22 > from. I assume when a games tries to start with a resolution which now
23 > seems unsupported it runs into difficulties.
24 >
25 > So the question is, how to get wine-vanilla-4-17 to accept the available
26 > resolutions? This problem didn't occur with the old monitor.
27 >
28 > Some info:
29 >
30 > xrandr old monitor:
31 > Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 16384 x 16384
32 > DVI-I-0 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
33 > DVI-I-1 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
34 > axis) 367mm x 275mm
35 > 1600x1200 60.00*+
36 > 1280x1024 75.02 60.02
37 > 1152x864 75.00
38 > 1024x768 75.03 60.00
39 > 800x600 75.00 60.32
40 > 640x480 75.00 59.94
41 > HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
42 > DVI-D-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
43 >
44 > xrandr new monitor
45 > Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
46 > DVI-I-0 disconnected primary (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
47 > DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
48 > HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
49 > DVI-D-0 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
50 > axis) 725mm x 428mm
51 > 2560x1440 59.95 +
52 > 1920x1080 60.00*
53 > 1680x1050 59.95
54 > 1440x900 59.89
55 > 1280x1440 59.91
56 > 1280x1024 75.02 60.02
57 > 1280x960 60.00
58 > 1280x720 60.00
59 > 1024x768 75.03 70.07 60.00
60 > 800x600 75.00 72.19 60.32 56.25
61 > 720x576 50.00
62 > 720x480 59.94
63 > 640x480 75.00 72.81 59.94
64 >
65 > nvidia-drivers-435.21
66 >
67 > Hartmut
68
69 I'm not the right person to advise on this problem because I have very limited
70 experience with Nvidia cards and even less with WINE. Nevertheless, the
71 (generic) way I would go about it would be to try an HDMI cable first in case
72 the higher bitrate makes any difference in what the kernel/driver sees and can
73 drive. If there is no improvement, then I would look into feeding a custom
74 EDID file for the new monitor to the kernel and see if WINE performance
75 improves. Have a look at 'xrandr --prop' to see what the new Vs the old
76 monitor display and read this for more:
77
78 /usr/src/linux/Documentation/EDID/HOWTO.txt
79
80 HTH.
81 --
82 Regards,