From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Ralph Slooten <axllent@×××××.com>, Keith Dart <keith@×××××××××.biz>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng filtering
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 06:42:57
1 On Wednesday 17 March 2010 23:43:39 Ralph Slooten wrote:
2 > On 18 March 2010 09:40, Keith Dart <keith@×××××××××.biz> wrote:
3 > > You can comment that out and then those annoying run-cron entries won't
4 > > be logged.
5 >
6 > Yes, dropping those entries on the client side is an option, however then I
7 > have to do it for each client in the network. Doing it on the server means
8 > just once... and it's all local network, no bandwidth isn't an issue
9 > either.
10 >
11 > There are also some cron jobs I do want logged ~ things that run maybe
12 > weekly or monthly, but some run every minute and really don't need to be
13 > logged.
14
15 And you still have to cater for the case where some joker sends you heaps of
16 unwanted stuff despite you repeatedly asking him not to.
17
18 Or, god forbid, you have to receive logs from Cisco kit.
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com