From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo and strange traffic.
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:58:09
1 On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:21 AM, BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > ----- Original Message ----
3 >
4 >> Joshua Murphy wrote:
5 >> > Well, glancing at the GET request it's making  there, as well as the
6 >> > API google points me to when I look it  up...
7 >> >
8 >> >  http://developer.yahoo.com/messenger/guide/ch03s02.html#d4e4628
9 >> >
10 >> >  You're right that it's after an image from their profile, but the
11 >> > cause  of the failure appears to be related to some sort of credentials
12 >> > Yahoo  wants the messenger to provide. You might poke Kopete's
13 >> > bugtracker to  see if they've a related bug on file already, and if
14 >> > they don't, throw  one their way.
15 >> >
16 >> > The API Yahoo appears to be using there (based on  a response I got
17 >> > back in poking lightly) is, or is based on, OAuth,  which according to
18 >> > this:
19 >> >
20 >> >  http://oauth.net/core/1.0/#http_codes
21 >> >
22 >> > specifies that a request  should give a 401 response (Authorization
23 >> > Required vs Unauthorized is  purely the choice of phrase used in the
24 >> > program decoding the numerical  code, i.e. wireshark in your example of
25 >> > it there) in the following  cases:
26 >> >
27 >> > HTTP 401 Unauthorized
28 >> >    * Invalid  Consumer Key
29 >> >    * Invalid / expired Token
30 >> >     * Invalid signature
31 >> >    * Invalid / used nonce
32 >> >
33 >> >  Yahoo, essentially, *does* give a "bugger off"!! with that response,
34 >> > but  Kopete simply takes it, considers it a brief instant, then decides
35 >> >  "Maybe the answer will change if I try again *now*!"... at which point
36 >> >  it proceeds to introduce its proverbial cranium to the proverbial
37 >> > brick  and mortar vertical surface one might term "the wall."
38 >> >  Repeatedly.
39 >> >
40 >> >
41 >>
42 >> I was sort of figuring that it  was trying to get something and Yahoo
43 >> wasn't liking it.  At least now  we know for sure.
44 >>
45 >> I went to bug.kde and searched but I didn't see  anything.  Of course,
46 >> I'm not really sure what the heck to look for  since I don't know what is
47 >> failing, other than  Kopete.
48 >
49 > Best bet would probably be to check with the Kopete devs on IRC or mailing list
50 > (kopete-devel).
51 >
52 > Ben
53
54 Yep, but... just from a glance at their bug tracker and their commits
55 list... they made quite a few changes to the Yahoo plugin's handling
56 of avatars and such in January that're in 4.4... so their go-to answer
57 on Yahoo avatar related issues seems to be "Try it on 4.4, then come
58 back if it's still broken."
59
60 So... to save a little time and effort when that answer's thrown
61 around... might be best to test with that. I don't have QT or anything
62 that depends on it on any of my boxes (the only box I actually have X
63 on right now's my netbook, so adding's not even a feasable option) and
64 my yahoo account went dead a few years ago, so I'm not much use for
65 testing.
68 Poison [BLX]
69 Joshua M. Murphy