From: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lilo vs. LVM
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 11:38:30
1 Quoting Konstantinos Agouros <elwood@×××××××.de>:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have a VM with a gentoo guest. For testing I set it up with an LVM
6 > Volume Group that consisted of only one disk. Now I added a 2nd resized
7 > the FS but lilo stopped working. When I call it I get:
8 >
9 > # lilo
10 > device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
11 > Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) failed
12 >
13 > /boot is also on the LVM volume.
14 >
15 > Is maybe grub the answer to my problem?
18 Sorry for the late reply, I am way back on this list reading :)
19
20 I have the same exact problem that I haven't been able to investigate
21 yet, calling lilo gives me:
22
23 device-mapper: table ioctl failed: No such device or address
24 Fatal: device-mapper: dm_task_run(DM_DEVICE_TABLE) fail
25
26 The funny thing is that I can workaround that chrooting from a livecd,
27 and invoking lilo from that, as described in the gentoo handbook.
28 The other funny thing is that this problem happens randomly, for
29 example last week, I upgraded my kernel, run lilo from my system and
30 it worked. If I try today it doesn't, but may work in a few days... I
31 really don't know how to explain that, anyway I always keep a livecd
32 around, just in case.
33
34 Should you switch to grub? I don't know, for me is not an option since
35 I'm running a triple boot (osx, windows, and gentoo) on a macbook, and
36 my gentoo partition is under lvm (root included since I cannot create
37 anymore physical partitions) and last time I checked, grub-static
38 (yes, it's a no-multilib profile), didn't support booting directly
39 from an lvm partition.
42 TopperH
43 http://topperh.ath.cx
44
46 This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.