From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth-Hotspot
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:46:43
1 Hi list!
2
3 I could need some help.
4
5 Long story (if you don't want to hear, scroll down):
6
7 For six months a year I'm attending a university of cooperative
8 education and although I pay 1000€ a year for infrastructure and stuff
9 like that its services for students are a big joke. Especially its
10 WLAN-hotspot isn't nearly up to the job.
11
12 Because I have an UMTS-card my idea was to set up a personal area
13 network (PAN) via bluetooth and act as a router to support my friends
14 during the WLAN-outages.
15
16 Most of the job is already done but I have problems setting up a
17 DHCP-server and the network configuration. Because the virtual ethernet
18 interface only exists when a connection is established, dhcpd doesn't
19 start from the init-script and, although I haven't tried it yet, normal
20 network config shouldn't fare any better. When the last client
21 disconnects, all the configuration is gone and when someone reconnects,
22 I have to call "ifconfig bnep0 192.168.4.1" again.
23
24 Short question:
25
26 How do I automate the configuration of network interfaces and related
27 deamons when the whole interface keeps appearing and disappearing out of
28 the clear blue sky?
29
30 I don't think ifplugd will be up to the job (haven't tried it though).
31
32 Thanks in advance!
33
34 Florian Philipp