From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc 4.1 with gentoo 2006.1
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:23:31
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 060831 Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >
4 >> I got in via eix-sync that there was a stable gcc-4.1.1.
5 >> Is it recommended/worth it/useful to recompile my stuff now?
6 >> Remembering recent threads I assume this leads
7 >> to some "emerge -e system; emerge -e world" to get the full BANG out of it.
10 > I updated to 4.1.1 some time ago & have been recompiling packages
11 > only when there's a newer version; others remain compiled by 3.4.5 or 3.3.6 .
12 > It doesn't seem to break anything. I never do 'emerge world' anyway.
13 >
14 > HTH FWIW ...
18 But according to the guide and to some threads here, it is highly
19 advised to do the emerge -e system and a emerge -e world as in the
20 guide. It !currently! says this:
21
22 > Generally speaking, upgrades to bug fix releases, like from 3.3.5 to
23 > 3.3.6, should be quite safe -- just emerge new version, switch your
24 > system to use it and rebuild the only affected package, libtool.
25 > However, some GCC upgrades break binary compatibility; in such cases a
26 > rebuild of the affected packages (or even whole toolchain and system)
27 > might be required.
30 Since this is a major upgrade you may want to reconsider. So I guess it
31 depends on how much risk you want to take with it. If anything, at
32 least do a emerge -e system. That should get you booted even if the GUI
33 fails for some reason.
34
35 Dale
37 --