From: "Hieu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel Panic Troubleshooting when machine is not avaiable directly
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:51:16
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been having kernel panics on a not-so-regular basis (server was
4 running fine for 30 days, then had a panic, again fine for 2 months or
5 so then panic'ed again). Problem is, the machine is far away and I
6 don't have access to the screen. So far I've changed syslog-ng to
7 record emergencies not to /dev/tty8 and console(root) but to files
8
9 <snip>
10 destination emergency { file("/var/log/emergencylog"); };
11 destination else_all { file("/var/log/evrelse"); };
12 (...)
13 filter f_emergency { level(emerg); };
14 (...)
15 log { source(src); filter(f_emergency); destination(emergency); };
16 log { source(src); destination(else_all); };
17 #line above ends all the log statements so it's basically a catch-all
18 </snip>
19
20 Is this enough to record the msg dumps when it would panic again?
21 Also, I have no idea as to what's causing it, since it's so irregular.
22
23 I'm running Linux undine 2.6.23-hardened-r7-undine
24 (Just had to recompile kernel and tried to fix around stuffs + remove
25 the things I didn't need hoping it'd be the panic cause)
26 grsec is enabled and logs most things, with most security enabled
27 (minus the parts for TCP connections)
28 PaX is also enabled
32 Hieu Luu Danh
34 Freelance Web Designer
35 E: <hieu@××××.eu>
36 N: United Kingdom, SW15 & East London
37 --
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list