From: "Vladimir G. Ivanovic" <vgivanovic@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SegFault while compiling gcc 4.1.1
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:29:44
1 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2 > On Thursday 30 November 2006 07:56, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
3 >
4 >> Let's take a poll.
5 >>
6 >> 1. Have you seen this error message in an emerge?
7 >
8 > Yes, several times.
9 >
10 >> 2. Have you subsequently identified a hardware problem, fixed the
11 >> hardware problem, and have not seen the message since?
12 >
13 > Yes. 99% of the times it was bad RAM (verified with memtest86).
14 > Of course, for trivial emerges a subsequent emerge completed fine, but
15 > the first failure put me on the alert.
16 >
17 >> 3. Have you re-run the emerge and not seen the message in a while
18 >> (please indicate how long "a while" is.)
19 >
20 > For me, "a while" is "since fixing the hardware problem".
21 >
22 >> BTW, do you know portage/emerge/make/whatever knows that the problem
23 >> is not reproducible?
24 >
25 > If, all other things being equal, a subsequent attempt at the same
26 > operation does not exhibit the problem, or fails differently, there's a
27 > good chance that the problem is not reproducible.
28
29 Interesting responses from 3 people. But ...
30
31 I have done nothing to my hardware and I've seen this error, oh, a
32 half a dozen times, the last time 3 months (?) ago. I ran memtest when
33 I installed new memory, and it did not report problems even when run
34 for hours. And I do not get random segfaults with other programs.
35 Finally, I don't think my hardware fixed itself.
36
37 Given all of this, my suspicion is that these errors are software
38 bugs, not hardware problems.
39
40 The other thing that I don't really believe is the part about "this
41 bug not being reproducible" as reported by portage/emerge/make/gcc. I
42 don't recall any evidence that the emerge that actually tried the
43 compilation again and /succeeded/. (Why then error out rather than
44 print a warning message like, "Compilation retry succeeded on
45 subsequent attempt; hardware problem suspected.") So, my suspicion
46 that the commentary is bogus; but I believe the part about "internal
47 compiler error: Segfault".
48
49 --- Vladimir
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list