From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two portage questions
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 14:16:59
1 Hi, Alan.
2
3 On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 12:51:14PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:31 on Saturday 14 May 2011, Alan Mackenzie
5 > did opine thusly:
6
7 > > 1. Where is it specified what is in "system" in the same way that
8 > > "world" is in the file /var/lib/portage/world?
9
10 > That is defined in your system profile, not by you.
11
12 > /etc/make.profile is a symlink to something in $PORTDIR/profiles/ and that
13 > defines the profile you are using. A profile is nothing more than a bunch of
14 > files that define what your basic system consists of - things like minimum
15 > packages to install, things that must not be installed, starting point for USE
16 > flags, etc etc.
17
18 > Profiles are cascading, meaning that more specific profiles can include other
19 > more general ones, defined in files called "parent". These contain paths to
20 > other directories (which themselves can have parents), and the whole lots os
21 > recursively traversed from the bottom up till all the branches dead-end. The
22 > full complete set of data you get out of all that is your complete profile.
23
24 > The specific files that define the system set are called "packages"
25
26 OK. Some of these directories have got three parents. ;-) The people
27 deciding what goes into the "packages"es must have very steady hands.
28
29 > > 2. How does emerge know which mutt to build when I do "emerge mutt"?
30 > > There are three candidate files in /usr/portage/mail-client/mutt, e.g.
31 > > mutt-1.5.21-r1.ebuild.
32
33 > It will pick the ebuild with the highest version number, modified by your
34 > rules concerning ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=, unmasked and masked packages.
35
36 > If your system is set to stable (ACCEPT_KEYOWRDS=amd64 for example), it will
37 > pick between mutt-1.5.20-r18 and mutt-1.5.21-r1 as those are both stable.
38 > Usually it will be 1.5.21-r1 as that is the most recent version. Normally you
39 > will find two or more stable versions for most packages. This is by design so
40 > that if an update on a stable system by chance breaks something, you still
41 > have an earlier version to fall back on should the need arise.
42
43 OK, I get it.
44
45 > If your system is set to unstable (ACCEPT_KEYOWRDS=~amd64 for example), it
46 > will pick mutt-1.5.21-r2 as that version is unstable (displayed with a
47 > ~ symbol next to it in output).
48
49 I think I'll leave the unstable stuff alone.
50
51 > Sometimes you get packages that are masked, indicated with [m] or [M]. These
52 > are for lunatics to test, and there are rules concerning masking that you can
53 > use to free these up for use (it's all in the man pages). Mutt does not have
54 > any such packages but nvidia-drivers for example does. You must take explicit
55 > steps to obtain the latest version. This is so that the odds of validly being
56 > able to blame anyone at all when nvidia trashes your system are reduced to
57 > exactly zero.
58
59 > Do you have eix installed? You should, great tool, and makes figuring all this
60 > out a whole lot easier.
61
62 I've got it now. I'll go and have a look at it's /usr/share/doc / man
63 page.
64
65 Thanks!
66