From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Basic queries regarding installation from an outsider looking in
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:57:26
1 On Sunday 14 June 2009 13:02:50 AG wrote:
2 > Hi all
3 >
4 > Thanks for the responses to my earlier query regarding co-location of
5 > Debian and Gentoo on the same HDD.
6 >
7 > I still have a few questions regarding an installation before I take the
8 > plunge:
9 >
10 > (1) Looking through the background docs, it occurs to me that if I
11 > wanted to install Gentoo on my system, I would need access to a second
12 > machine that is running all of the on-line docs that guide one through
13 > the installation process. Is this correct? If not, how does one refer
14 > to the (seemingly quite comprehensive) guidelines whilst in the middle
15 > of an installation?
16
17 With links or link2 or lynx - it's on the stage 3.
18
19 Get network up and running, view docs in text mode
20
21 > (2) When Gentoo installs its libraries, does this duplicate the
22 > libraries already on my machine? For instance - if I have OOo and KDE
23 > and Xfce4 loaded as part of my Debian Squeeze system, will Gentoo also
24 > install its own version of OOo, KDE and Xfce4 alongside the Deb files?
25 > I was thinking that this would have a number of implications in terms of
26 > space and (potentially) in how the drive is partitioned for the Gentoo
27 > installation ... unless I'm missing the point?
28
29 Yes. You have two complete operating systems, and they share very little, if
30 anything. Don't try and be tempted to share binaries - that way does madness
31 lie.
32
33 > (3) What differences would I likely experience between running my
34 > Debian installation and the Gentoo installation?
35
36 That's not a question that anyone except you can answer - it's like asking me
37 what different experience will you have between your ex-wife and current
38 girlfriend. I have no idea, nor any way to find out.
39
40 They will be different, that much is true. Gentoo will work the way you set it
41 up, I can't even warn you about sudo instead of su a la Ubuntu as Gentoo let's
42 you do it either way. If you use Gnome, you will get Gnome's default theme (a
43 blue one?) instead of say Ubuntu's Human theme. Changing that is a simple
44 emerge and a few mouse clicks.
45
46 What you will do is spend an insane amount of time trying to figure out what a
47 certain USE flag actually does an if you want it. Debian doesn't give you that
48 choice.
51 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com